November 8, 2001
"To err is human; to blame it on somebody
else is even more
human." - John Nadeau, Medford, Massachusetts
Geez, congressmen and senators must be more human than we are.
Anyway, my youngest sister is turning 16 this month and she just can't wait while I don't want to celebrate any more birthdays. An article I read came to mind. It goes like this:
Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than ten years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions.
"How old are you?" "I'm four
and a half."
You're never 36 and a half .... You're four and a half going on 5.
You get into your teens; now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number.
"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be
You could be 12, but you're gonna be 16. Eventually. Then the great day of your life; you become 18. Even the words sound like a ceremony. You BECOME 18....Yes!! You are an adult!
Then you turn 30. What happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk. He TURNED; we had to throw him out. What's wrong? What changed? You BECOME 21; you TURN 30. Then you're PUSHING 40....stay over there. You REACH 50. You BECOME 21; you TURN 30; You're PUSHING 40; you REACH 50; then you MAKE IT to 60. By then you've built up so much speed, you HIT 70. After that, it's a day by day thing. You HIT Wednesday... You get into your 80's; you HIT lunch, you HIT 4:30.
And it doesn't end there....
Into the 90's, you start going backwards. "I was JUST 92."
Then a strange thing happens; if you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half."
August 27, 2001
"Living on Earth is so expensive. But at least it includes a free trip around the sun."
Prices of goods continue to go up. Oil price hikes are already a frequent occurrence. The value of the peso continues to go down. Then we have the recent move of Globe and Smart to cut the free-text allocation of their subscribers. What else could possibly happen to this country?!?
The recent move of Globe and Smart reeks of connivance. These two giant companies are now acting like a cartel inspite of the deregulation law. We couldn't find a justification for this move other than maximization of profits. These two companies couldn't say that they are losing money (as what the oil companies are wont to say) because the increasing subscriber base and the full page ads they put on national dailies belie this. And they have the gall to threaten subscribers that if they don't cut the free text allocation, they would have to increase the cost of a text message 100% (from 1 peso to 2 pesos per message). It really wouldn't matter much if these companies give out superb service but the fact is their service continue to deteriorate daily. If they don't spend as much as they do now on ads and other not-so-important activities of theirs to attract would-be subscribers and instead use the money to expand and improve their service, then they don't have to move the burden to subscribers' shoulders.
The two companies perhaps didn't expect that a move like this would bring on lots of criticisms but they underestimated the text generation. Text-messaging for many is their "opium" and cutting the text allocation is like depriving an addict his supply of drugs.
JOIN the nationwide call for a text and call boycott on SEPTEMBER 1!!! Let us show the telecom providers what the text generation can do!
On the lighter side, guys please enlighten me. How come some guys (I am not generalizing!) are so stubborn when it comes to paying the bill? I went on a date and I insisted that we split the bill... he won. For some reason, this guy always has money on his hands kaya sa bunutan pa lang talo na ako. Grabe... i mean guys complain about girls being so expensive but when girls insist on going dutch treat, they take no heed. As if naman mababawasan pagkalalaki nila. Why are some guys like that? Tapos pa they prove that girls=evil by using as a premise that girls=function of money?!?
girls=money x time ;
since time raw is money;
then girls=money x money
so girls = money˛
since money is the root of evil
money˛ = (√evil)˛ = evil
then, girls = evil.
Yeah right! Except that girls should not necessarily be a function of money kasi if guys agree to kkb, eh di we are paying lang what service we each took and not pay for the other's expenditures. Although of course, pag alang date, e di ala talagang gastos papunta sa place of ur date... but then at least kung sakasakali pati ung girl ganun din ang gastos papunta sa same place... or pag alang date e di hindi pa nagbayad sa sine or sa food or sa whatever dahil di din naman makakapanood, makakakain, or whatever... pero ganun din naman ung girl ah.... so pag kami pala nagsasalita... pwede rin namin sabihin na:
boys = money and time
and then take it from there...
Aahhhh wala lang. Paul, thanks for empathizing with the feminist movement. ^_^
August 12, 2001
Wow. It has been more than a month since I last updated this page. I had been very busy with schoolwork: exams, papers, my midterms, projects, group meetings, etc. that I wasn't able to find time to log on and check online events. It even came to a point where I was already missing some of my meals and catching some sleep in the library. Some of our teachers have this talent for sowing terror in our hearts that we just had to study, study, study. During our first meeting, one of my teachers' first words were: "Your graduation... is NOT my concern." From that moment on, we know we are in trouble. One teacher of STS reportedly told her students just before the first exam: Prepare to fail! My teacher has a version of this one which he stated before we begun our exam (not STS): "All of you will fail this exam." Like if he's already sure, then what is the point of taking the exam? One of my classmates put down her pen and slept all throughout the test. I wish I did that.
Anyway... in between prayers (please please please... let me pass this semester without a hitch. Forget the magna or the cum laude.. just pass me.. pleaseeeeee), I found this article which is not related to what I wrote above but which I found funny. Read on:
TOP NINE WAYS THE BIBLE WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT IF IT HAD BEEN WRITTEN BY COLLEGE STUDENTS
9. The Last Supper would have been eaten the next morning...cold.
8. The Ten Commandments are actually only five, double-spaced, and written in a large font.
7. New edition every two years in order to limit reselling.
6. Forbidden fruit would have been eaten because it wasn't cafeteria food.
5. Reason Cain killed Abel: They were roommates. (my note: Hey, my roommate and I got along fine... except when we had to actually clean the room and reorder our things. Good thing both of us were not neat-freaks or else she wouldn't be able to stand the mess I usually create. She is an extrovert while I am anti-social so we had a different set of friends. But we got along fine really...)
4. The place where the end of the world occurs: Finals, not Armageddon.
3. Out go the mules, in come the mountain bikes. (my note: a car would be more like it. Commuting sucks! Hirap lang maghanap ng parking space.)
2. Reason why Moses and followers walked in the desert for 40 years: They didn't want to ask directions and look like freshmen. (my note: yadda yadda... during our freshman year... we went the extra mile just to make sure that we don't look like freshmen.... Now that I think about it... I had a blast during my freshman year and I would gladly become a freshman one more time. No responsibilities and easy registration... and... oh! the upperclassmen also had a fun time teasing the freshies... freshie pa lang kasi... okay.. I don't want to become a freshie... I want to be a junior once again!)
1. Instead of God creating the world in six days and resting on the seventh, He would have put it off until the night before it was due and then pulled an all-nighter. (my note: sounds like me... the certified crammer. lolz)
:: Personal :: View My Guestbook :: Sign My Guestbook :: Post Comment :: Credits :: Links ::